Monday, November 2, 2015

Manic Monday/Speeding Eclipse

This morning when my alarm went off, I didn't want to get out of bed. Surprise surprise, right? Who wants to get out of their warm comfy bed at 5:26 AM? I hit snooze a couple of times.

When I got up, it was closer to 5:45, but that still gave me plenty of time to get ready and get to the gym. I like to leave myself a lot of cushion and I was reminded of why I do that this morning. 

Coming out of Hazel, a little town I drive through, the speed limit goes 35 to 45 and then 55. As I drove into the 45, I got passed by a little Eclipse. My immediate thought was to look at the clock, see that it said 6:54 and assume that he must have to be at work at 7.

As fate would have it, Mr. Eclipse and I caught up with each other again in just a mile or so because we were behind a school bus that was going at that lovely school bus pace. Then,  Mr. Eclipse surprised me by whipping out and passing the car in front of him as we are all breaking for the school bus to pick up a kid.

Poor Mr. Eclipse. What must you be feeling? Frustration at the situation? Indignation that you were going to be late because of a school bus? Panic that you weren't going to make it to work on time? Rage? Fear?

Whatever he was feeling, Mr. Eclipse whipped out again and proceeded to pass a car and a semi-truck AS THE SCHOOL BUS RED LIGHTS WERE FLASHING! The children were standing on the side of the road. All the cars and the bus were stopped, and Mr. Eclipse is picking up speed in the oncoming late.

What the hell is this idiot doing? Kids, you better be paying attention! Bus driver, be checking your mirrors! This could end badly.

Mr. Eclipse whips into the line behind the bus and everyone's breathing returns to normal. As soon as he can, Mr. Eclipse whips off onto a side road with intentions (I suppose) of driving 80 down back roads to Murray.

I get it, don't you? We've all been there! Overslept. Can't find keys! Going to be late! Oh shit, a school bus!

But that should be the extreme anomaly. Not an everyday occurrence. And judging by Mr. Eclipse's stunts today, I would wager this wasn't his first crappy morning commute.

Now think about how his day is going to go. Rushing out the door, getting stuck behind traffic, passing cars, coming close to causing injury to children, rage, adrenaline, aggression and frustration all built up. He's probably still going to be late. His boss will be pissed. It's Monday morning and his day is going to suck. And honestly, tomorrow and the rest of the week will probably go the same way.

Would could he do different? Well, one simple solution is to get up earlier. I know it sucks. I hate mornings also. But if getting up 15-20 minutes earlier gives me time to just slowly go about my morning routine and leave 5-10 minutes early, I call it a win.

Yeah, I would have preferred to not get stuck behind a school bus. But I had plenty of time and was listening to a great podcast. I was heading to a place I love to work at. My Monday started off stress free, thanks to just dragging my arse out of bed a bit earlier than I wanted to.

Mr. Eclipse can blame whoever he wants for his shitty Monday, but I'd wager it started when he didn't get his butt out of bed.


Because I wasn't in a rush, I fixed my oatmeal this morning and enjoyed it while sitting behind the school bus. Lol, I know I look like crap. It's Monday morning, what do you expect?

Stay Strong Y'all!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the Dumplin's lunch! We enjoyed and loved spending time with you!

    ReplyDelete